Home > Communication > Outage: Telstra Hit Yet Again

Outage: Telstra Hit Yet Again

Telstra’s network outage woes were compounded yesterday, with up to 375,000 of the Telco’s NBN and ADSL customers unable to connect to the Internet.

The latest outage closely follows three earlier outages that have enraged Telstra subscribers. It also comes after chief executive Andrew Penn late last week claimed that Telstra’s core network architecture was the most robust in Australia, and earlier chief operations officer Kate McKenzie announced plans to spend $50 million upgrading the network in a bid to avoid future incidents (CDN, May 3).

Yesterday’s outage affected up to 350,000 NBN voice and data customers in NSW, SA, Queensland and WA and 25,000 ADSL customers in SA and NSW.

A Telstra spokesperson yesterday said the outage had been caused by “faulty hardware which has been isolated”. All services had been restored, the spokesperson added – though some customers were still without a connection yesterday afternoon, according to a Fairfax report.

 Rival telco TPG yesterday blamed a software bug for an outage that affected subsidiary iiNet’s Perth-based e-mail services at the weekend. TPG apologised for the problem and said iiNet had deployed additional protection mechanisms to prevent a repeat occurrence.

You may also like
Major Stock Problems Hurting CE Retailers Shares Fall
Talent Shortage Forces Telstra, Optus To Pay Workers More
More Than 75% Of NBN Users On High-Speed Service
EXCLUSIVE: Telstra & Optus Ranging Multiple Smartphones From Banned Chinese Company
Telstra Say Home 5G Not An NBN Replacement