After Screwing Up In Politics What Else Do You Do But Beat Huawei’s Drum
He screwed up his political career trying to create his own political party in South Australia, now Chinese technology Company Huawei is punting on former senator Nick Xenophon to plead their case in Australia after being banned from being a supplier to the Federal Government because of security risks.
The bottom line now is that everyone is wrong about Huawei according to Xen
Working on the adage that he’s paid to plead; he is now beating Huawei’s drum claiming the Chinese Company has been “treated incredibly unfairly”. So, for a fee, he’s going to help turn things around.
Xenophon crashed at the 2018 state election in South Australia and has spent the past 12 months looking for opportunities outside politics, now Huawei has come to his aid.
A South Australian Xenophon has formed a law firm with former journalist Mark Davis – on board as its “new strategic counsel” the Australian Financial Review recently reported.
“I see them as underdogs” Xenophon claims referring to the Chinese giant who is claiming that despite their products being banned in the USA and Australia they will still become the world’s #1 smartphone Company and are confident of their success in the networking space.
Huawei says Mr Xenophon will “be helping to defend our company locally against malicious and false attacks designed to cause us reputational damage”.
That reputational damage has come on the back of suggestions that Huawei – the world’s biggest phone supplier – is too cosy with Beijing and has been using its equipment to spy on other countries and companies claims the AFR.
The Chinese Company has also taken a direct swipe at the Morrison government claiming 1500 “quiet Australians” will lose their jobs due to a ban on its equipment in 5G mobile networks.
The SMH claim that in a speech to be delivered at Huawei’s annual supplier summit on Monday, seen in advance by The Sydney Morning Herald chief executive Hudson Liu attacks the government for job losses expected as a result of the 5G ban imposed in August 2018 and addresses Mr Morrison directly.
Referring to Mr Morrison’s speech after winning the May election about the victory of “quiet Australians”, Mr Liu said his employees and those of his contractors also fell into this category but had been affected “heavily” by the ban.
“Australia will be impacted heavily. So can we keep quiet? Can we allow the truth to be ignored and allow the lies about our company and our people to continue? No, we cannot,” he said.
“We have to let more and more quiet Australians know … that because of the 5G ban policy, the competition between vendors, between operators is very limited, so the investment is reduced, and more and more jobs will be lost.”
Huawei who is still facing issues with the US Government is planning to challenge a decision made by the US Federal Communication Commission (FCC) that has banned Huawei from using government funds to buy its telecommunications networking equipment.
Earlier this year, Huawei was placed on the ‘Entity List ‘which disallowed other US-based companies to have trade relations with the company.
This move by the US Commerce Department saw Huawei lose Google ‘s Android OS support with the Company now forced to flog expensive new Android smartphones without a full working Android OS or access to Google apps.
The bottom-line which Xenophon will find hard to tackle is that the Chinese Company is seen as a risk to national security in both Australia and the USA.
According to the US FCC, Chinese vendors have largely been excluded from the US market, with many major network carriers using radio equipment from Ericsson, Nokia, and others.
Currently a small number of providers are still using kits from Huawei and ZTE due to it being relatively inexpensive.
However, the FCC has voted on a measure that mandates US operators to remove and replace Huawei kit from their networks.
The Rural Wireless Association, which represents operators with fewer than 100,000 customers estimates that the replacement of Chinese kit would cost up to 1 billion dollars; and this is just a quarter of its members.
Huawei plans to file an appeal against this decision. The tech giant has 30 days to file the appeal at the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, Louisiana.
According to the AFR recent reports also suggest that Huawei has been helping censor and surveil Uighur Muslims for the Chinese Communist Party. So far Xenophon who has in the past gone in to battle for the oppressed and disadvantaged has not said how he feels about representing a Company with such a claimed track record.
in 2018, Australia banned Huawei from its 5G rollout. Xenophon has now questioned the logic of an earlier ban on its equipment being used for the National Broadband Network after news emerged in 2017 that 40 Huawei phones had been purchased for Defence and Foreign Affairs in March of that year.
The fact that Huawei is banned on two continents won’t take Xenophon off message. He claims Huawei is fed up with this and that’s why he is acting for them he claims.
“I see them as underdogs,” said Mr Xenophon, warming to a theme and threatening legal proceedings against the unbelievers.
“They have been treated incredibly unfairly. Huawei is fed up with this and that’s why we are acting for them.”