Xenophon Fails To Defend Huawei Wrongful Arrest
Huawei’s new mouth from the South defender former South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon has remained remarkable quiet after it was revealed that the big Chinese telecommunication Company wrongfully accused an employee of extortion.
Li Hongyuan, who worked for Huawei for 13 years, was arrested over charges of extortion in January, after the company accused him of blackmail.
But prosecutors freed Mr Hongyuan in August, after finding insufficient evidence to back Huawei’s claim.
And the Chinese government has awarded him 107,522 yuan (£11,686) in compensation for being wrongfully jailed.
Earlier this week Xenophon was telling anyone who would listen that tech giant Huawei has been “treated incredibly unfairly” by media such as ChannelNews.
Apparently, Huawei spin doctors were hoping that Xenophon who for a fee could take the sting out of media criticism.
But even that strategy has backfired.
In a blistering speech delivered in the Senate under parliamentary privilege, Senator Paterson said Mr Xenophon risked a “sad end” to his career of public service by taking on Huawei’s cause in Australia, where both the Liberal and Labor parties have banned the Chinese company from the 5G and national broadband rollouts on advice from the security agencies.
Now Huawei is resorting to threatening to sue organisations and individuals who criticise them.
Poor Lin Hongyuan was detained for eight months in China because of false claims by Huawei, this is the same Company that fronted a Sydney press conference with dodgy images in an effort to try and jack up exposure for their new P30pro camera.
Before leaving Huawei, in March 2018, Mr Hongyuan says, he negotiated an exit package.
Two months later, a Huawei employee deposited 304,742 yuan (£32,951) into Mr Hongyuan’s personal bank account, which Mr Hongyuan told Chinese media outlets had been an end-of-year bonus he had been promised.
Huawei then reported him to the police, who claimed the money transfer had been made in response to his alleged attempt to extort money from the company.
Mr Hongyuan was taken into custody in December 2018 and formally arrested in January.
According to the BBC he was released after 251 days in custody, Mr Hongyuan’s defence team told CNN their client had never been prosecuted and had instead been awarded government compensation.
We can also reveal that Huawei will over the coming weekend take action to sue arch critic the US Federal Communications Commission.
Sources claim that the company is planning to file a lawsuit in New Orleans’ Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals this Friday.
Currently the Company is banned by the US Government with more US Government bans to come.
Recently, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) banned U.S. telecommunications operators from using government subsidies to purchase Huawei telecommunications equipment or services. This did not go down well with the company.
The Chinese manufacturer responded to the FCC’s decision by issuing a statement…” We consider this decree illegal because the FCC excludes Huawei on the grounds of national security. However, it did not provide any evidence that Huawei is actually a threat. On the contrary, the FCC has a wrong view of Chinese laws. It assumes that Huawei may be under the control of the Chinese government”.
The US Government’s USF provides about $8.5 billion in subsidies to broadband deployments in rural areas each year. Mainly small operators benefit from this subsidy. Without the fund, most of these operators will crumble.