Home > Latest News > Sony Headphones Explode After Woman Plugs Flight Adapter Into AC Socket

Sony Headphones Explode After Woman Plugs Flight Adapter Into AC Socket

A Chinese woman’s Sony WI-1000XM2 headphones exploded after she mistakenly plugged the in-flight adapter into an AC power unit while attempting to charge them.

The $600 pair of Sony headphones, which were released in 2020, exploded into flames when the Wuhan-based customer plugged in the product, reports Gizmochina.

The burning headset left the woman’s son with degrees of burns on his right hand.

Sony warns on its website that users should not use the in-flight adaptor to charge the device.

“Plugging the in-flight adaptor into a AC Power Socket to charge the headphones will cause severe damage to the device,” the warning reads.

The woman attempted to lodge a complaint in-store however it was determined the accident was caused by ‘improper operation of the device’.

In response to the incident, the Hubei Provincial Consumer Council reminded manufacturers to clearly and adequately inform users of the hidden dangers associated with misusing a product.

The wireless, noise-cancelling Sony WI-1000XM2 headphones were priced at $599.99 but have now been discontinued in Australia.

Before discontinuation, users gave the headphones an average rating of 3.9/5.

You may also like
Sony And Google Team Up To Bring 360 Reality Audio To Android
EXCLUSIVE: Former Sony Executive, Now Working For A Major Brand, Faces New Harassment Allegations
Netflix Takes On Sony With 40 New Anime Titles
Sony Offers Glimpse At Next-Gen PS5 Virtual Reality Controller
CE Brands In Australia With Biggest Growth From 2020 Lockdown