Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Coming To Oz In May
Panasonic has launched its Lumix DMC-GX85 camera, featuring 5-axis in-body stabilisation and 4K photo and video.
The DMC-GX85, which sports a textured look with the front and rear dial system crafted in high-quality aluminium, is the first camera in Panasonic’s G series line to incorporate 5-axis in-body stabilisation.
“This operates during both photo and video recording, including 4K shooting, to deliver a superior performance with stable imaging in situations where that was not previously possible – from capturing images at slow shutter speed or with a telephoto lens, to handheld video shooting,” Panasonic states.
Using any of 13 compatible Panasonic lenses, users can also employ Dual IS, combining the 5-axis in-body stabilisation with the original 2-axis optical stabilisation in the lens.
The DMC-GX85 sports a 16 MP Digital Live MOS sensor, which Panasonic states sees the Low Pass Filter removed for even more highly detailed images, with an improvement in resolution of around 10 per cent compared to the DMC-GX7.
A new shutter mechanism is electromagnetically driven instead of spring driven, delivering a reduction in size for a smaller camera profile, with Panasonic stating that the shutter is much quieter, while “shock caused by the shutter is virtually eliminated”.
In terms of bracketing capabilities, the DMC-GX85’s Focus Bracketing adjusts the focus point while maintaining depth of field, while Aperture Bracketing maintains focus while adjusting depth of field.
The DMC-GX85’s 4K Live Cropping provides for stable panning and zooming during recording, while its 4K Photo comes with a dedicated on-camera button, with 4K Pre-burst mode shooting 30 frames per second before and after the shutter is released.
“The DMC-GX85 has similar lines to our breakthrough DMC-GX7, which proved incredibly popular with enthusiasts,” Doug Campbell, Panasonic senior product manager, imaging, commented.
“We’ve taken their feedback to offer a camera that supports vivid imaging with a powerful stabilisation system and precise features – designed for the meticulous photographer who seeks to express their creativity with that unique shot.”
The DMC-GX85 additionally sports a high-resolution 2,764K-dot live viewfinder, providing 0.7x magnification (35 mm camera equivalent), with the Eye Sensor activated by looking into the viewfinder, while the 3″ 1,040K-dot rear monitor has a versatile tilting design.
– Contrast AF with Depth from Defocus technology offering high-speed AF of approximately 0.07 sec, and high-speed burst shooting at 8 fps (AFS)/6 fps (AFC)
– Low-light AF with autofocus in -4EV lighting
– Starlight AF for capturing subjects like stars in the sky at night using autofocus
– Other AF features include 49-point focus detect, Custom Multi AF, Face/Eye Detection AF and Pinpoint AF
– Focus, aperture, exposure and white balance bracketing
– Creative Control with 22 filter options that can be applied in P/A/S/M mode
– Wi-Fi connectivity using the Panasonic Image App
– New optional External Flash DMW-FL200L (GN20) – complies with 90-degree vertical bounce lighting, can be used as an LED light in video recording and features wireless shooting
The DMC-GX85 will be available in Australia in late May in black or two-tone silver and black, priced at:
– Body only (DMC-GX85GN-K, -S): $1,099 RRP
– Single lens kit with 12-32 mm lens (DMC-GX85KGNK, S): $1,199 RRP
– Twin lens kit with 12-32 mm and 45-150 mm lenses (DMC-GX85TWIN-K, -S): $1,449 RRP
– Zoom lens kit with 14-140 mm lens (DMC-GX85ZOOM-K, -S): $1,699 RRP