Huawei Pleads For One Last Chance as Time Runs Out
Desperate and with time running out on their existing 4G support contracts with carriers, Huawei has begged the Australian Government to “reconsider their ban on the Chinese telecommunication Company rolling out new 5G networks.
Huawei was banned from being a supplier to carriers in Australia by the Federal Government last year.
ChannelNews can also reveal that according to sources the USA Federal Government has spoken to Australian security agencies about the prospect of getting carriers such as Telstra and Optus to stop the connection of ZTE and Huawei smartphones on their networks due to security concerns.
We have also been told that discussions have taken place with Google as to how to identify Huawei and ZTE devices. Some security experts are also questioning whether devices from Chinese Company BBK Electronics who own Oppo and Realme are also safe from the Chinese Government being able to spy using their devices.
The same discussion to try and ban devices on a network has also taken place with US carriers who are also being pressured to remove Huawei communication equipment from their network.
In a submission to the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Communications and the Arts’ who are currently inquiring into 5G in Australia Huawei is claiming that Australia risks being left behind in the global race if it doesn’t do more to improve its 5G technology.
On Monday Optus is set to launch their 5G program for Australia ChannelNews understands that they will show their network operating on two 5G devices from Oppo and Samsung.
“Australia is being left behind in the global race to roll-out 5G, the consequences for Australia’s competitiveness and future prosperity are enormous,” the submission said.
“5G is Australia’s last chance to get world-class high-speed broadband for all Australians following the disappointing outcomes for consumers on the NBN and, in particular, Huawei is deeply concerned regional and rural consumers will receive limited or no 5G services.”
The submission notes that countries in Europe and Asia have “near nationwide 5G coverage already in place”, while the “vast percentage of even our major cities do not have 5G coverage.”
They did not specify which Countries.
The Chinese Company then claimed, “If the potential influence of the Chinese Government is the reason for blocking Huawei from Australia’s 5G build, then such a ban should be considered for our competitors [Nokia and Ericsson].”
They claimed that “With or without Huawei, Australia’s 5G technology will be made in China in factories half-owned by the Chinese government.”
The company also said it builds its technology with a strong emphasis on cybersecurity.
“It would be the end of our $USD100 billion business to do otherwise,” the submission reads.
“We build our technology assuming someone, somewhere will want to do bad things to our products, organised crime, terrorists, state actors, local hackers etc,” the submission reads.