Huawei Hopes It Can Convince Government To Lift 5G Ban
Chinese tech giant Huawei is trying to convince the Australian government to lift a ban against its inclusion in local 5G networks after several other countries followed our lead in adopting similar bans that have significantly impacted the company’s business.
Huawei Australia chairman John Lord said the company hopes “there may be room for Huawei to participate in 5G” down the track, and it would “keep showing the government the advantages of including Huawei in the 5G network,” according to the Australian.
The company was banned from the network rollout in August last year due to security concerns about its alleged links to the Communist Party of China, sparking a wave of similar bans around the world.
The United States’ bans have had the most impact on Huawei’s business, cutting off its access to vital technology including its licence for the Android operating system, Qualcomm and Intel chips, and even hurting its ability to make its own.
A lack of access to vital components recently forced the company to cancel the launch of a new laptop and pause production of its laptop line, which relies on the Windows operating system and Intel chips it can no longer get.
Huawei had previously declared its ambition to overtake Samsung and become the world’s leading smartphone seller by 2020, but has now said it will have to wait a bit longer as it seeks to find a way around the bans or become self-sufficient.
The company recently filed trademarks in several countries for its own home-grown OS, and has reportedly been recruiting developers to publish apps on its AppGallery platform, according to Android-focused forum XDA Developers.
The OS, which has been in development for years, is still regarded as a break glass in case of emergency plan if the company is unable to regain access to Android in the future.
If the OS is deployed, adoption could prove slow due to negative consumer perception stemming from the bans themselves, concerns over security, and consumer-hostile behaviour.
Some current Huawei users recently expressed outrage about being shown advertising on the lock screen of their phones, which the company denied responsibility for despite it only seeming to affect those using Huawei supplied lock screen images.
Ah hear… @Huawei why am I now being served ads on my lock screen? Stop it! Moreover @bookingcom what idiot in marketing thought this was ok? #ads #DigitalMarketing #Huawei #measure pic.twitter.com/Ta1lslMwsP
— Dave Rooney (@daverooney) June 13, 2019
Huawei may be hoping a lift on the 5G ban in Australia starts another wave around the world, this time for reprieve, but Mr Lord said any lift in the ban remained “a decision for the national government”.
He made the comments outside parliament house after Huawei announced a two year, $2 million renewal of its sponsorship of the Canberra Raiders NRL team that began in 2012, ahead of last night’s game against the Cronulla Sharks.
The Raiders raced to an early 20-0 lead before the Sharks chased them down with a similar run of points.
Canberra managed a further two points late in the game to scrape to victory, a triumph over adversity in the nation’s capital Huawei evidently hopes to emulate.