Sony’s Mobile Division Could Be Shut Down Says CEO
It’s been a tough few years for Sony’s mobile division despite the Company having what looks like a good offering on the surface. In Australia consumers have had to return model due to crack screens, and screen failures.
Telstra retail executives recently told ChannelNews that hundreds of the Sony Xperia model failed to boot after initially being set up with a SIM card.
It now appears that that Sony may be willing to shutter its smartphone division if things don’t pick up fiscally.
The company’s CEO, Kazuo Hirai, in an interview with Reuters has hinted that a tipping point may soon be reached.
“We will continue with the business as long as we are on track with the scenario of breaking even next year onwards,” explains Hirai. “Otherwise, we haven’t eliminated the consideration of alternative options.”
Earlier this week, Sony announced a restructuring plan that will see its lucrative image sensor business spun off on its own.
The new stand-alone image sensor company’s operations are pegged to begin on April 1 next year.
Sony recently unveiled three new smartphones – the Sony Xperia Z5, the Xperia Z5 Compact, and the Xperia Z5 Premium.
That’s after releasing the Xperia Z4, the Xperia Z4v, and the Xperia Z3+ earlier this year all models that sold poorly in Australia.
These are all high-end flagship smartphones, not mid-rangers or budget devices.
As such, it’s not hard to see why some blame Sony’s struggles on its prolific release cycle.