Netgear Debuts New Orbi Satellite For Outdoor Wi-Fi
Netgear has expanded its networking portfolio from indoors to outdoors, by launching its new water-resistant Orbi Satellite in Australia for A$549.
The system claims to offer uninterrupted 4K HD video streaming or music playback with outdoor speakers, across the “backyard, guesthouse, or poolside”, forgoing the expense of extra Ethernet cables running across the yard.
The new Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS507) connects with any Orbi Tri-Band Whole Home Wi-Fi System or Orbi Pro Tri-Band Wi-Fi System for Small Businesses, pledging high-performance Wi-Fi coverage outdoors.
For added versatility, a recent firmware upgrade enables Orbi’s Outdoor Satellite to work with other brands’ routers too.
Netgear’s new Orbi Outdoor Satellite inherits the capabilities of its Orbi Whole Home WiFi System including; a single network name for seamless roaming, dedicated third channel for data exchange between satellite and router, plus a separate and secure Guest Wi-Fi network.
The new satellite adopts characteristics of the Orbi Pro for Small Businesses when added to a network e.g. guest and employee traffic separation, plus a dedicated admin network.
Suitable for entertaining households, the Orbi Outdoor Satellite can offer ambient lighting, either scheduled automatically, or turned off for discrete placement.
Top features (below):
- WiFi where it’s never been before — Extend high-performance WiFi coverage outdoors.
- Weather-resistant — Keep connected outdoors, rain or shine.
- Easy setup — Set up in minutes with Orbi App or any web browser.
- Ease of placement — Use stand or wall mount for flexible placement options.
- Patented FastLane3 Technology — Maximise Internet speeds available inside and outside your home through a dedicated Tri-Band WiFi connection between the Orbi Router and the Satellite.
- Single Network Name — Stay connected seamlessly as you move from indoors to outdoors.
- Ambient night light — Create a schedule to turn your Orbi Outdoor Satellite LED lights on and off at specific times, or use the Orbi Mobile App or the switch.
- Guest WiFi Network — Easily set up separate Internet access for your guests.
Suggested locations (below):
- Garden, Garage and Terrace — Easily extend coverage to allow you to FaceTime your extended family over the holidays, enjoy the warmer weather by catching up on that guilty pleasure you can’t wait to binge watch, and stay up to date with all the Summer cricket and tennis activity anywhere around the house or backyard.
- Pool Area or Detached Guest House — Keep the fun going by streaming your favourite playlist poolside, by the BBQ, or in guest accommodations, with no interruptions.
- Gaming Center/Lounge — Provide friends with a separate network to secure and protect any personal data and still get the same unbelievable WiFi experience for multiplayer gaming, whether its indoors or out.
- Shed or Barn — Stream step-by-step, how-to and DIY videos right from your workstation with no interruptions.
Netgear asserts the Orbi Outdoor Satellite is installed within “minutes”, with the “push of a button” or via the Orbi App.
The satellite connects with the Orbi Router via Netgear’s patented FastLane3 Technology, pledging Tri-band Wi-Fi and Quad stream wireless dedicated backhaul of 1.7Gbps over the 5GHz band.
Offering easy out-of-the-box set up, users are \required to connect theirOrbi router to an internet modem or service provider gateway, whilst placing their Orbi satellite “somewhere central” to the area of intended Wi-Fi coverage.
Depending on the Orbi system installed, Wi-Fi coverage can range from 3,500 square feet to 5,000 feet.
By adding an Orbi Outdoor Satellite to an existing Orbi WiFi System, the range of WiFi mesh coverage zone can reach even the farthest perimeter of a person’s property, encompassing the pool, guesthouse, garage and BBQ area.
“WiFi is now considered a basic home utility. When you turn the faucet tap, you expect water to flow. When you flip a switch, you expect the lights to glow. It’s the same for WiFi,” assert David Henry Senior VP of Connected Home for Netgear.
“Australians want seamless WiFi, whenever and wherever they need it, no matter whether it’s inside or outside the home. It is frustrating to go into the garage or the backyard and to have your WiFi connection drop”
“By adding the Orbi Outdoor Satellite to your Orbi WiFi System, you’ll enlarge your WiFi coverage to reach the farthest corners of your property, enabling endless hours of outdoor entertainment.”
Multiple Orbi Outdoor Satellites can work together to extend mesh network reach and coverage, whilst still maintaining single-network name and seamless roaming.
Netgears asserts Orbi satellites automatically configure themselves to provide fast Wi-Fi to each and every device.
Pledging robust durability, the new Orbi Outdoor Satellite is designed to withstand rough outdoor weather conditions, including high Australian temperatures (IP56 dust and water-resistance rating).
Netgear’s Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y) is now available to purchase from several Australian retailers and re-sellers, with further information available on the company’s website here.