AVG Protects Sony Xperia Smartphones
Sony Mobile and AVG have entered into a three year partnership for AVG to be Sony Mobile’s exclusive partner of mobile security to its customers, with AVG AntiVirus Pro pre-loaded onto the new Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact.
Both Companies say “this will provide Xperia users with the mobile protection they need to help use their devices safely for their online activities.”
There’s a small catch – the pre-loaded software is a 180 day (6 month) trial of AVG AntiVirus Pro, after which users can either purchase the annual subscription or choose to remain protected by AVG AntiVirus Free, which the Pro version automatically turns into if the annual subscription is not purchased.
It’s not just for Z3 owners either, as Sony will be promoting the app to other device users so anyone with a Sony Xperia Z2 or a Sony smartphone/tablet running Android 2.2 or above will also be able to download this app if they wish.
David Ferguson, GM of Consumer and Mobile at AVG Technologies said: “The popularity of consumer apps, device proliferation and the bring-your-own-device trend in the workplace means we are spending more time on our connected devices and entrusting them with a broader range of personal and financial data. As a result, more people now expect to put in place security protection when they purchase a mobile device, whatever they plan to use it for.
“AVG is already looking ahead to a future with AVG Zen where smart, connected devices in the home and personal devices like wearables could also be protected. With this vision of the Internet of Things starting to become a reality, people are confidently getting online through smartphones and tablets and providing AVG’s security apps will give Xperia device users peace of mind,” Mr Ferguson concluded.
AVG AntiVirus FREE for Android was first mobile security application to exceed 100 million downloads on the Google Play Store, and was augmented by this year’s earlier launch of “AVG Zen”, an application for Windows PCs and Android smartphones and tablets to help consumers retain control over their privacy, protection, and performance when using a connected device to get online.
So, what does AVG AntiVirus PRO for Android offer?
– An App Scanner to scan apps to ensure that no malware or other hazardous infections are able to infect your device.
– A File Scanner to scan your phone for viruses and removes them with a simple click, ensuring your contacts, bookmarks, text messages, music and videos are kept safe.
– A Safe web surfing module to actively check web pages in real-time before you land on that page. If it detects something suspicious, it prevents you from visiting the site.
– An App Lock to protect your privacy by enabling you to lock your apps, thereby securing them from being accessed by other people using your phone.
– A Phone Locator to help you locate your phone if lost or stolen. Locate it quickly via Google Maps or enable the SHOUT function which maximizes the volume of your ring tone even if your phone is on “Silent”
– A Phone Locker to keep outside parties from accessing your personal information by allowing you to lock your phone remotely via SMS or from controls managed from the Anti-Theft service.
– A Camera Trap where AVG Anti-Theft records 3 failed attempts by an intruder to unlock your phone and then takes a photo of them with the phone’s front-facing camera. The photo is then emailed to you with an alert to the attempted break-in.
– A Remote Wipe service which helps preserve your privacy by enabling you to wipe all contacts, photos, and calendars, your text messages, browsing history and SD Card.
– A SIM Lock to lock your phone when the SIM card is replaced.
– A Performance Improver to optimise battery, storage and mobile data usage.
– A Task Killer to shut down apps that may affect device performance.
– A Battery Saver so you get notified when the battery is below the level you set. Use the new Power Save button to turn off device functions that consume your battery or use Auto Power Save to turn off several features that consume battery automatically when the battery power reaches the level you set.
– A Data Usage Tracker to keep track of your 3G/4G mobile data usage by getting notifications as you approach your monthly data limit.
– A Storage Usage Tracker to uninstall apps that you think use too much storage to free up space on your device.
– An App Backup module to help you back up all your apps to your SD Card so you never get caught without your favourite games, utilities or feeds.
More information on AVG AntiVirus Pro for Android is here.