Fitbit ‘Explosion’ Causes Second-Degree Burns
An owner of a Fitbit Flex 2 has claimed the fitness tracker exploded without warning resulting in second-degree burns.
TV station TMJ4 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin reported that local resident Dina Mitchell had been wearing the fitness tracker while reading a book when it suddenly malfunctioned.
“The Fitbit itself is totally melted,” Mitchell said, adding that “the bracelet melted, and I got pieces of plastic burned into my arm.”
Mitchell said the melted pieces of plastic had to be removed from her wound by a doctor. A local hospital confirmed Mitchell visited the day following the incident.
In a statement issued to TMJ4 and other news outlets, Fitbit said it was “extremely alarmed” about the report and that an investigation into the issue was underway.
Fitbit themselves said in a statement that they “are not aware of any other complaints of this nature. In fact, based on our extensive internal and independent safety testing, we do not believe it is possible for this to occur under normal use.”
“The quality of our products and the health and safety of our customers are our top priorities. Fitbit products are designed and produced in accordance with strict standards to ensure the safety of our users.”