Sony Delays Final Financial Results After Hack Attack On Movie Business
The Japanese Company who are exploring the possibility of getting out of the TV and mobile phone business in favour of a possible joint venture have said that they still plans to hold briefing sessions for the media and analysts on Feb. 4, the original date scheduled for its earnings report, but would only provide estimated figures for the performance of its movie subsidiary Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai said previously that the financial damage to Sony from the hacking campaign would likely be limited.
All other segments, including its financial division and electronics arm, will report finalized numbers, it said.
“The third-quarter figures for Sony as a whole won’t be final, because the movie segment can’t report them by the original deadline,” a Sony spokesman said.
The Tokyo-based company said it asked the relevant authorities for an extension of the deadline for submitting the finalized results to March 31. The original deadline was Feb. 16.
In a statement, Sony said its Los Angeles studio had shut down part of its internal network to prevent further damage from the hacking attacks, which began in late November and led to a massive leak of confidential information.
Part of the movie unit’s intranet system is expected to remain powered off until early February, preventing accountants from using software to finalize the results.