| APPLIANCES / CLEANING |
Watchdog Chases Vacuum Retailer Dodgy Sales
By Oonagh Reidy | Thursday | 10/05/2012
The consumer watchdog has taken on Lux vacuum retailer alleging "unconscionable conduct" in selling vacuums to the elderly.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said it has filed proceedings in the Federal Court against Lux Distributors, alleging unconscionable conduct in relation to the sale of vacuum cleaners to elderly consumers.
Click to enlarge
The ACCC alleges that between 2009 and 2011, a Lux sales rep called five elderly consumers under the premise of a 'free vacuum cleaner maintenance check.'
The consumers, some of whom were aged over 90, were then allegedly subjected to unfair sales tactics pressuring them into purchasing a vacuum cleaner costing as much as $2280.
This contravened section 51AB of the Trade Practices Act 1974 and section 21 of Australian Consumer Law.
Lux distributes domestic vacuum cleaners in Australia and primarily markets through in-house demonstrations.
The watchdog is seeking an injunctions and the payment of pecuniary penalties and costs from Lux, as well as the implementation of a trade practices compliance program.
The matter has been filed in the Federal Court's Fast Track List and due to be heard before Justice Dodds-Streeton in Melbourne on 6 July 2012 at 10:00am.
| || |
| || || New LG 65" Ultra High Definition TV, Complete With Pop Down Speakers: REVIEW |
LG Australia has finally rolled out their 65" Ultra High Definition TV offering in Australia and what you get is a TV that delivers a quantum leap in TV technology and surprisingly a significantly improved sound system that is delivered from pop down speakers but the big question is whether it is worth $6,999.
| || || Hot Christmas Appliances? |
Air conditioners are set to be hot on Aussie Christmas lists as are coffee machines, juicers and mixers, says appliance retailer
| ChannelNews is the only trade site to reach AV, CE and IT professionals. Over 150,000 page impressions and 17,000 emails a month. Contact us today to get your brand in front of this lucrative audience. (02) 8999 1006 |
For more information ...
| Smarthouse's |
Apr/May 2011 issue
reviews the hot new iPhone attach device, the Zeppelin Air. And we look at what's going on in the tablet space...
- Its The... 1mm "Super Computer"
- Dodo By Name, Dodo By Nature
- REVEALED: Oz Pty Facebook Addicted
- New Motorola Car Phone Speaker & FM Transmitter
- NEW Apple OLED Notebook & iPhone Confirmed By LG
- Hello Fibre: NBN Test Phone Service
- How Samsung Kept The Galaxy S3 A Secret From The Entire World
- Facebook "Will Disappear" In 5 Yrs: Analyst
- Fujitsu Partners With Salesforce
- New NBN Directors Revealed
- Wireless Skype Without The Fuss
- Trouble-free i-Mate Smartphone
- Review: Nokia Smartphone Has All Bases Covered
- Review: Is LG's Smart TV The Best Yet?
- Review: Steve Jobs Raved About IPS Technology, Now LG Has Delivered A Slick 27" IPS Monitor
- Illustrate With Medion Graphics Tablet
- Review: Is Dell's XPS 13 The BEST Ultrabook?
- Review: Samsung's Galaxy Nexus Is A Nail In The iPhone's Coffin
- How Could Microsoft Screw Up Windows 8 So Badly?
- Review: Samsung's Smart TV Comes So Close To Being Perfect